Sunday, February 12, 2017

Feedback Focus

Today I learned some techniques on how to stay focused while reading. The technique I found most helpful was copy-and-delete, followed by reading out loud, and using a timer came in last. I liked the copy-and-delete technique the most because after every paragraph I wrote down some notes. By the time I was done reading I had a document that had the entire story summarized very simply even if I didn't quite understand the story. This technique will surely be used when I'm reading other students stories. By the time I'm done reading and want to leave a comment I can just look at my notes and remember all the things that stuck out to me.
The next technique I used was reading out loud. This technique wasn't as effective as the previous but still seemed more effective than reading in my head. Whenever I had to read it out loud I felt like I had to talk clearly and concisely so the listener could understand me. At the same time the words were slowly being absorbed into my brain unlike normal reading.

The last technique was to use a timer. I did not experience any sort of positive effect with this one. Whenever I set the 10 minute timer it just seemed like I was focusing on when I could stop reading instead of the reading itself. I will not be using this technique for any readings in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment