Sunday, March 26, 2017

Week 6 Storytelling: Where Did My Mew Go?

In an age unknown to history there existed an ancient civilization off the coast of India known as the Mewsians. The Mewsians were a peaceful race of pink rodent-like creatures that had mastered the art of levitation and honed in on their psychic abilities. They inhabited a large island named Mewsia that was away from the main land containing creatures that would be dangerous to the less developed life elsewhere on the planet. Brahma decided to put all these dangerous creatures on Mewsia because the Mewsians knew how to live alongside them for they were practically invincible. If they were ever in trouble all they had to do was materialize an impenetrable bubble around themselves and fly away to safety. But as time passed the Gods viewed their existence as a threat to the entire world. The Gods could see that the Mewsians had too much power and could one day rival the power of the Gods if they chose to do so.

(A Mewsian in a bubble.
Source: Web)
Brahma, the God who created this amazing race, soon realized that the Mewsians must be eliminated in favor of the much weaker race known as the humans.  The humans had limited abilities and the only way they could rival the Gods was by obtaining the weapons only Gods were able to possess. Brahma consulted with Shiva and Vishnu and they all came to the same conclusion that someone needed to take out the Mewsians fearing one day they could be overthrown. With Shiva being the God of destruction he volunteered to be the one who would be responsible for the mass genocide of such a great and peaceful race. Shiva said goodbye to his fellow Gods and the other two could tell he didn't want to kill the Mewsians.

(Gods Shiva, Brahma, and Vishnu.
Source: Web)

Shiva quickly reached Mewsia and laid waste to the entire island to get it over with. The Mewsians stood no chance against Shiva and with one fell swoop of his Trishula he killed the entire race. None of the Gods could look upon the horror of what had happened to realize that one had survived the powerful attack. The one remaining Mewsian was known as Mew for he was the King of the Mewsians. Not only was he the King but he was also the most powerful of them all. Shiva knew this information and a part of him couldn't see this entire race be completely taken off the face of the Earth.

Right before Shiva struck the island he warned Mew and commanded him to quickly dig deep into the earth and Shiva would spare him. All Mew had to do to survive was embed his body in the Earth and then use his physic powers to form an impenetrable bubble that not even Shiva would be able to break. A combination of the powerful bubble and the tons of dirt around him protected him from the attack. It all happened so fast and it is believed that in this moment Mew shed the first tear of his long life.

(King Mew's reaction to Shiva's destruction.
Source: Web)

After Shiva laid waste to the land he looked for the one Mewsian he spared. Mew was nowhere to be found and Shiva feared that he killed him by accident. To Shiva's surprise the god Ravana was fleeing the scene and he had Mew with him. Shiva's powers were weak so all he could do was watch as Ravana flew away with the one Mewsian he spared.

Shiva returned to Brahma and Vishnu to tell them that he couldn't live with himself if he killed the entire race so he ended up sparing King Mew. Brahma and Vishnu responded in sync with one another saying, "We understand, Shiva. We know your heart and we knew you couldn't let them all die. We didn't stop you from volunteering because we knew you would get the task done but spare one to come live with us."

In shock Shiva replied, "If you knew all along why did you let me fill myself with such emotions? Yeah, I am the God of Destruction but this civilization has been around just about as long as us. How did you know I was going to spare one of them?"

Brahma and Vishnu ignored his question and again addressed Shiva in sync with one another, "Where is King Mew? We would like to explain ourselves and reward him by giving him even greater power along with supreme knowledge of the cosmos for his troubles."

Shiva was at a loss for words. All he could remember was using all of his power to destroy Mewsia and before he knew it Ravana had stolen Mew right from under his nose. Shiva swiftly relayed this information and the three Gods quickly assembled all the other Gods, Goddesses, gods, and goddesses to track down Ravana as fast as possible. Nobody knew where he was hiding with Mew and hours of searching turned into days, days turned into weeks, and before they realized it a couple months had passed and there were no signs of Mew or Ravana.

Just about all the Gods gave up searching but Shiva and his team were persistent and chose not to stop until Mew was found. Along their travels searching they came across the bird God, Garuda. Apparently he was never informed that the Gods were searching for King Mew or the evil Ravana. Garuda had seen Ravana with Mew and he was taking him in a southern direction. Shiva knew there was only one island out there and it was the Island of Lanka. At last Shiva knew Mew's exact location and he was finally recovered.

(Garuda in this story is the Legendary Pokemon Ardicuno.
Source: Web)

In the possession of the Gods he was rewarded with immense power, knowledge, and even immortality. It is believed that the great God Mew is even alive to this day, doing his best to stay out of the way of the humans yet protecting them at the same time. For when the Gods gave Mew the power of a God he became the peacekeeper and protector of the world.

Author's Note: No blog would be complete for me unless my favorite pokemon, Mew, was featured in one of my stories. I took the story where the monkey people help Rama search for Ravana and Sita. Instead of Ravana stealing Sita away from Rama he stole Mew away from the Gods. Just as everyone is losing hope about finding their target there is an encounter with a bird/bird person. In the original story it was the bird Sampati who knew where Sita was taken. I couldn't really find a way to integrate him into my story so instead I used Garuda because he is the god of the birds. I used a little bit of pokemon lore and decided to have Mew alive to this very day. In the anime he is only seen a couple times and is the most legendary Pokemon in the first generation series. This is why decided to make him a God at the end.

Bibliography: Online free Ramayana, Story titled "Sampati"
Author: Sister Nivedita

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kalen,
    I really enjoyed reading your story! This is a style I have not yet encountered, and you seemed to really do well with it! I can tell that you have a great passion for Pokemon, and it definitely shined through this story! It was cool to see you keep the theme within the new story you have created! I don't know much about Pokemon, but I really liked this. I wonder if you could make a sequel using the concept of Pokemon Go or something. I am glad I came across this, as I am always looking for inspiration on new writing styles! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kalen, right when I saw the Mew picture I instantly got excited to read the rest. What a great idea for inspiration of your stories. I will definitely be coming back to read these. Shiva reminded me of Mewtwo so much in the opening portion as he laid waste to the weak. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kalen!

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story for this week. I am a little bit of a nerd, so I definitely liked the mash-up between the Ramayana and the Pokemon universe. I think what you have done here is very creative, and it demonstrates how powerful your imagination is. You also have a great knack for detail and imagery. You have the potential to be a great writer! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalen,
    I like many of us that have commented on your story so far love Pokémon. I do not think that will be something I ever grow up from and I am totally ok with that. I wanted to say that using Mew was an awesome idea and how you were able to make it into a story was awesome. I think you have a very strong background and I saw few to little errors grammatically. I do think you should add more description of your characters. Instead of listing out how the each character is you should give bigger detailed words. An example could be in the very beginning when you introducing Mew and the planet they are from describe it more. I think that part was rushed and for people that may not know Pokemon as well can get a better feel of what Mew is like. You could describe what their planet is like and a little about how they live. Other than that your story was really good and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kalen,
    first off, you are the first person in these two courses I have seen make a story or write about Pokemon at all. That's awesome. I am a big Pokemon fan ever since I was little, and it is apparent you are too. Specifically a gen 1 fan I presume. The way you incorporate Pokemon into the Indian tale is great, and very fluid. The placement of Mew into the story as a divine godlike creature makes sense, as he is a legendary. You also brought humans about into the universe as things mew must protect yet avoid, again giving reference to the Pokemon series. I really enjoyed this story, and in a way it makes me want to write a twist in story of Pokemon and Hinduism/Indian stories. I am interested to see if you decide to dig deeper in this story type, and add more Pokemon to specific characters. Another story or two in this manner would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kalen!
    Great story, I love how you can incorporate something you like so much (Pokemon) into your writing. It makes the story even better, because the reader can tell that you are passionate about what you're writing and that makes the writing authentic. I actually never really got into Pokemon, but all the characters are so cute. :) This story was super easy to stay interested in, and I really enjoyed reading it. The break up of your paragraphs was great which made the plot easy to follow and not confusing. The only issues I saw were grammatical errors which are so tiny and easy to fix! Overall, this was an awesome story and I can't wait to see what you write next!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kalen, I feel like you did a great job at really planning out this part of your story and making it interesting. It was easy to read and flow along with. Your descriptions of the characters and the events taking place were well thought out. I liked seeing how the story ended with Mew being found and given all of the power and being made a god.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This planning looks very cool and I think the story could turn out very well. The way you did this made the flow go really well and I felt I could read it all day long. Also, the characters were very easy to envision, as you did so well describing them. Even somebody who doesn't like Pokemon could find this interesting, I think..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I really enjoyed your story. I love Pokemon and I found it really interesting how you incorporated it into the story. You made mew out to be this divine being. Unless you were a Pokemon fan you would not really understand how well this fits with the actual character! I thought that was a nice similar aspect between what you did with the original character and your take of mew in your story. I never would have thought to incorporate Pokemon into an Indian epic, but I thought it worked smoothly! Something I would suggest is to give more detailed information on the characters in terms of background story. I feel like the story can tell us more about the gods maybe. I think that would be an interesting way to expand the story a little. Maybe into a possible sequel. Other than that small thought it was a very nice read!

    ReplyDelete