Saturday, January 21, 2017

Growth Mindset: Code Does Not Write Itself

I have never heard of Carol Dweck or anything like her ideas prior to this assignment. While viewing the video I definitely felt like everything she was saying made since and I felt like that's how a few of my classes in High School were taught. Ever since middle school I had been placed in advance math classes because for some reason I had a brain for math. So by the time High School came around I was learning calculus my Junior year. All the AP classes I took were definitely harder than all the other classes, but the thing is the teachers actually cared for their students success. At the end of the year when I took the AP tests half the time I wouldn't get college credit but it did ready me for harder classes. I might not have gained all the college credit I could have, but I do feel like I learned how to effectively learn hard material. While watching Dweck's video I just kept flashing back to my High School class and felt like I was properly challenged like she wants all kids to be challenged.
(Brain during challenges
Source: Web)

When college came around I knew I was good at math so I chose a major that involves a lot of math. That major being Computer Science. While most people look at this major and just kind of give me a look of "oh my god, you must hate your life". The major isn't actually all that bad. If there's anything that this major has taught me it is to take a problem and look at it in almost every way possible. This major definitely requires critical thinking skills which is how I feel I learn best. Where most people hate challenging problems I accept them.

4 comments:

  1. Kalen, you are sharp person. I too have a strong desire for challenge. I think it makes me stronger. However, I did not feel that way when I was your age. I am so impressed with the drive that seems to be instilled in some of my peers.

    I used to tutor Calculus at the junior college and I agree with your assessment. Some people used to think I was some sort of a God because I could do the math. What they did not see is that the problem in front of them was a series of very small manageable problems.

    The issues is as you said, they didn't know what those problems were. They could not look at all the angles to see what the puzzle was asking them to answer. I think of them as little guardians asking for the answer to a riddle. Once you get it, it wont get you again in the same way. They have to dream new ways to stump you.

    I love how you have related the creative spark in you to a puzzle. I like the approach, I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right away I loved your post by the picture that you chose. I do believe it is accurate, because our brain works hard when we switch to a growth mindset. It is not passive anymore, it becomes active. I also am impressed by the hard major you chose. I am sure you are doing well and I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you that you love your major. When you said computer science, I instantly thought of Math. I can see how some people assume you would not enjoy it, but if it is good for you, it is good for you! Keep up challenging yourself! I think it is great that you do not want to be average. Good luck with finals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very lucky to have had teachers that genuinely cared about your success in high school. That is hard to find. I think teachers that have a growth mindset for them and their students’ earlier on in education is a blessing. This sets the stage for the rest of education. I hope more teachers view this idea, and implement it in the future.

    ReplyDelete