Thursday, January 19, 2017

Storybook Favorites

The first story I read was titled "Weapons of the Gods". The title definitely grabbed my attention and had me interested as to what weapons are reserved for the Gods. This story was in a ancient shrine with three weapons talking about how they were created and who wielded them. The three weapons were the trident named Trishu, a Mace named Gada, and a bow named Gandiva. It did seem pretty cool to feel like the weapons were personally talking to me and convincing me why they are better than the other two weapons. The weapons gave a brief history of how they were created followed by who wielded them and lastly they shared a cool little story of their masters using them to kill people.
Image Info: Arjuna wielding Gandiva

The next story that grabbed my attention was "The Legend of Kalki". I guess growing up playing The Legend of Zelda is what really grabbed my attention to this title. Anything with the word legend in it has to be cool! This story starts with being introduced to the hero and learn that this is his 10th reincarnation. It is our hero Kalki's job to locate the weapons of the Gods and to destroy the evil that is lurking the world. The weapons the hero goes out and seeks are the Trishu, Gandiva, and Brahmadeva. This story is set up in a similar way the the previous one. It would tall you a little about the weapon and then you would approach it. The story makes you feel like the hero because it asks you a question and you have to answer it correctly to receive each weapon. To know the answer to the question just read the information about it carefully and Kalki will soon be destroying the Asuras (Demons). You never get to read about the hero saving the world but you got to go around the world to help the hero assemble the God weapons.

The last story I read was "Nighttime Nagas". The title grabbed my attention because I remembered reading something about Nagas in the previous story I read and I wasn't quite sure what they were prior to reading this story. But after reading the story I've learned that they are underwater snake people. This story is about two adult Nagas with hundreds of children. These two adult Nagas have visitors over the course of the week so Sumukha tells stories to the children so his wife Gunakesi can get some much needed rest. The first story is how their people were conceived. The second was about why the Eagle King, Garuda, kills so many of the Naga people even though they are related. The third story is about a man named Janamejaya trying to kill all Nagas in the world, and a man named Astika saved them. The last story is a little history as to why Janamejaya did what he did. All these stories are pretty interesting and after reading them I feel like I know the history of the "Naga" people,

No comments:

Post a Comment